Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Miss Me?

Hey Everyone,

I just realized that it has been almost a week since my last post. I am here to rectify that situation! It has been  a pretty good week. Last time, I mentioned that Alex had a late softball game. We managed to get back home shortly before midnight, just like I had planned. Since Jeff had to work the weekend, he had Friday and Monday off. On Friday, we loaded up the grandbaby and Alex and headed for the city. There were some things I needed for the house, and Alex was going to get her new swimming suit. If that's what you call those two pieces of fabric I ended up buying her, anyway. On the way to the city, we took the back roads and were surprised by a CITY WIDE YARD SALE in one of the small towns along the way. Deals galore, and of course we had to stop. One of the yard sales had a tone of computer equipment, so of course my big nerd looked like a kid in a candy shop. While he did his hunting, I walked on to the next one and fell in love with everything there. Of course, I can't have it all, so I made a few selections before I left.

Here is the beautiful little rocking horse that I got for $3.
RJ loves it!


I also picked up some old jars and glass insulators. I will post a picture of those when I get them cleaned and in their new homes. Then on to the city we went. When we returned home, Aleta told me that her company had just laid everyone off for the summer. It was expected, in fact, they told her they do it every year when she was interviewed. Nobody knows when until they do it. So now she is a stay at home mom and this grandma can get her big projects done! 

Saturday I decided to go out with my best friend for the afternoon. Her and I are nail polish freaks, and a new ULTA store had just opened. Of course we had to check it out. I walked out of there with 5 new polishes. I don't even remember how much my friend bought. It was insane. Afterwards, we went to Famous  Dave's for lunch. We enjoyed a cocktail while waiting and we even got to go orders for our men! Aren't we the greatest, most thoughtful, caring women in the world? 

Sunday, Jeff worked and I did a little bit of nothing. Ok, a lot of nothing. But hey, it was Sunday. Aleta, Mike and River came over and gave Jeff his present a week early because Mike has to work on Father's Day. They did a great job picking out a gift for him. 


I actually took this picture Monday morning before he started it. It is an "Age Your Own Whiskey" Kit. 
Jeff likes loves a little whiskey from time to time, and was thrilled over this. He got right down to business Monday morning.

 First, pulling out the contents.

 Then, the inspection of the unaged whiskey.

 Making sure the barrel sits properly on the rack.

 Rinsing the barrel.

 See that piece of paper on the box? Proof, ladies, that some men do read the directions!
Although, if it is something important like whiskey, they won't take a chance of messing up.

 Soaking the barrel. You do this for 2 hours and adjust the bands as the barrel swells to stop leaks.

 Pebbles decided she was going to supervise this process.

 The water after 2 hours. It still leaked, in for another 2.


All done!!! 

Then he just filled the barrel with the unaged whiskey and a little water and now it sits on my counter. Taking up a little of the very little counter space that I have. He thinks he will let it age until Aleta's 21st birthday in August. So on my counter it will sit. 


I am pretty sure I have taken up enough of your time with this post, so I am going to find something to do. Maybe paint my nails? Do laundry? Watch a movie? Who knows?

Until then,
Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment